Calithor

The Keep pt 1

Note: Again, transcript format and again OP destroyed any color/formatting from MSword.

Chat log started at 20.4.2011 / 14:47:43

Rayden, you surface gagging up sea water after nearly being drowned by a sudden storm. You float in the placid sea beneath the hot afternoon sun though only minutes before you were washed off the deck of the Orion and dragged beneath the waves by a vicious current.

GM: What do you do?

Rayden: Fuck.
Rayden: I get up from the sand and brush myself up
Rayden: nm, I see I’m floating
Rayden: ;/
Rayden looks around
Rayden: Skill [Perception] [1d20+5 = 6]
The raucous barking of seals fills your ears and you can see that you’ve washed up against a rocky cliff. Large, black, and tusked seals bake their tank asses in the hot sun or splash loudly in the calm sea.

g3k (Rayden): is there a beach nearby?
g3k (Rayden): or something to climb on?
GM: You can climb a jagged rock that juts out of the water.
Rayden: Skill [Climb] [1d20+5 = 24]
GM: You can’t see far enough to see a beach though.
With expert grace you climb out of the water onto a pillar of rock.
GM: Now what?
Rayden Stands up and looks around some more
Rayden: Skill [Perception] [1d20+5 = 17]
Rayden can faintly hear distant voices carried on the wind. Looking down the rocky shore you can see a large, square stone keep braced atop a sheer cliff. A short walkway connects it to a lonely tower that rises from the crashing sea.
He can also see a small cove across the bay from you where the Orion sits anchored, perhaps a half mile away.
Rayden dives into the water and swims towards the Orion, looking for shore to get onto so I don’t have to swim
Rayden: Skill [Swim] [1d20 = 18]
You dive back into the water, a seal honks with alarm and dives beneath you and out of the way.

Taking your time (Taking a 10), you swim through the cold sea water with relative ease. But by the time you near the Orion your arms are sore and tired. You splash your way into the cove where the ship is anchored and you hear the raspy voice of the ship’s captain, Hem, cry out. “‘ighness! ’ighness! The mercenary’s alive!” The stooped and weathered old sailor leans over the railing to peer at you with his one good eye.

Prince Theodric appears beside the Captain and looks down on you as you swim closer. Tall and regal, his face is youthful and aristocratic with high cheek-bones and blue eyes. He wears fine fashions, slightly soiled by the sweat and toil of life aboard The Orion and his blonde hair is pulled back into short pony-tail.
Rayden: Ahoy you bastards
Rayden: Get me out of this water
Prince Theodric shouts, “Get a rope! Lets haul him up.” A sailor (Jim) comes running, clutching a line.
Prince Theodric: I’m glad to see you are well.
The rope dangles into the water and the sailor and Captain Hem brace it.
Rayden grabs the rope.
Rayden: Skill [Climb] [1d20+5 = 19]
Rayden easily makes it up the rope and back on the deck of the Orion.
Prince Theodric: We were concerned when we couldn’t find you after the storm.
Rayden: So was I.
Prince Theodric gives a short laugh. Then looks serious. “Are you well enough to fight?”
Rayden: Always.
Rayden grins
Prince Theodric nods.
Prince Theodric: Good.
Prince Theodric: Sir Hastings and young Blair have already gone ahead to scout the Keep. Get your things and go assist them.
Rayden goes into the bunk area and grabs his belongings

Your things are all in one piece, and your weed is still dry. As you emerge in your armor and carrying weapons you see that the Captain managed to get the ship remarkably close to the shore. You need only wade through the shallows for a minute before you emerge on the gravelly beach. Jagged rocks jut forth from the sand like daggers and the cliff around the beach is steep but appears climbable.
Prince Theodric: They just left, you should be able to -
Rayden jumps off the ship’s bow and walks leisurely towards the keep.
From the Keep you hear the snarling and barking of dogs.
Prince Theodric (calling from the Orion): Make haste, it appears perhaps the keep is inhabited!
GM: Roll a climb check for the cliff, there’s no easy way up besides climbing.
Rayden: Skill [Climb] [1d20+5 = 20]
Rayden, you easily make it up and over the cliff and begins the walk up hill towards the Keep.

Meanwhile, back in the Keep…

Editor’s reminder: The Keep is 3 stories tall and a square stone structure surrounded by a 15ft wall. Its rear backs against a sheer cliff and there is a short walkway to a tower built on a pillar of rock jutting from the sea.

Tobias, the dogs have just been killed – though one of the diseased mongrels darted away through the gap in the portcullis. Inside the wall you can see the overgrown yard of the keep. Weeds, grass, and young saplings grow up from the gravel while vines grow up the keep’s solid stone walls.

The wind shifts and you can smell the scent of putrid meat.

Blair Craddock: Sir, it appears the mercenary survived. He’s approaching the gates.
Blair Craddock points out the portcullis towards Rayden’s advancing silhouette.
Tobias Hastings: Oh really? Finally arrives for the party, eh? Good eyes kid.

Intro Descriptions
Rayden has bright red eyes, black hair, and skin as pale as the moon. He wears tight black pants and shirt, he also has a black tabard with red borders, nothing symbolizing any significance. He seems to carry no weapons save for a quiver and bow on his back.

Blair Craddock is a straw-haired youth of about 15 whose boyish figure is in the process of being hardened by a squire’s training. He wears leather armor and carries a small sword. His hand is badly injured and wrapped by strips of cloth. On his back he carries a short bow, a spear, and a small quiver of arrows. The boy also wears a blue cloak with the symbol of the Lord Protector: A shielded crown.

Tobias Hastings: Tobias is a very large man, roughly 6 ½ feet tall. He wears a white ruffled blouse under a blood red overcoat that extends down into a trench. He also wears fitting black leather breeches with high laced black leather boots. Blond hair. Blue/green eyes and slightly elongated ears. A signet ring is slipped onto his finger.
End Descriptions

Tobias Hastings: Well hey stalker. Fashionably late as always?
Tobias Hastings: You missed all the fun.
The corpses of two huge wolfhounds lie just behind the portcullis.
Rayden: Quite right
Rayden: Whoever’s arse was navigating the ship caused me to be late
Tobias Hastings: That would be our lovely captain.
Tobias Hastings: Shall we continue our exploration? I love this gatehouse and all but it’s becoming very small
Inside the wall you can see the overgrown yard of the keep. Weeds, grass, and young saplings grow up from the gravel while vines grow up the keep’s solid stone walls.
You still smell the scent of putrid meat.

Blair Craddock grimaces at the smell but says nothing. His young eyes dart around at the keep’s yard.
Tobias Hastings ducks through the gate to examine the carcass the dogs were orginally around
The carcass is of a large elk, it has been almost wholly consummed. Bits and scraps of meat still cling, rotting, to its skeletal frame.
Tobias Hastings: mmm. Dinner?
Rayden crawls under the portcullis
Rayden: You ladies coming?
Blair Craddock looks indignantly at Rayden. “I’m no lady; I’ll be a famous Knight one day!”
Tobias Hastings winks slyly at Blair then makes his way to the keep proper.
Rayden: Right.

Across the overgrown yard you see a short set of stairs leads to the keep’s main entrance: a half-lowered portcullis and a door of reinforced wood that hangs ajar behind it, revealing the shadowy interior of the keep.

In the far corner of the yard you can see the sagging remnants of a horse stable. The wooden walls are weathered and bowed and the roof has sagged and collapsed in the middle.
Blair Craddock: I suppose that old hag was right. This place can’t be inhabited by any sane person at least…
GM: What are you guys going to do?
Tobias Hastings: It’s the insane ones we have to worry about
Tobias Hastings: Shall we check the stable first before going inside?
Blair Craddock nods.
Blair Craddock: There might be more dogs.
Blair Craddock clutches his sword with his dog-bitten and bandaged hand.
Tobias Hastings: don’t forget that potion I gave you.
Tobias makes his way towards the stable.
Blair Craddock: Yes, thank you Sir.
Rayden: Ladies first.
Rayden beckons Blair to go ahea
Blair Craddock glares at Rayden.
Tobias Hastings: Give the kid a break, stalker. They took a chunk out of his hand and not even a tear.
Rayden laughs out loud
Blair’s face seems to soften with pride at Tobias’ words but quickly hardens into an angry mask at Rayden’s derisive laughter.
Tobias Hastings: ignore the merc. Let’s go
You approach the stable, whose doors lie flat and rotting in the yard. Inside, grass grows up amongst the stalls.
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Perception] [1d20+1 = 8]
Rayden: Skill [Perception] [1d20+5 = 10]
You spend a few minutes searching the stables. Rayden, you find an ancient copper coin in the dirt. The face of some old king stares back at you from it. Beyond that, there appears nothing of interest or value in this place.
Tobias Hastings: Well that was a bust. Next.
GM: Now what?
Rayden moves towards the Keep itself, somehow drawing a switchblade knife from thin air
Tobias Hastings pulls out the oddly curved blade, giving it a spin as he heads toward the keep.
Rayden: Skill [Sleight of Hand] [1d20+9 = 23]
Blair’s eyes widen with surprise.
You approach the short set of stairs that lead to the keep’s entrance. You see another portcullis, this one half-lowered and easy to duck under, and a reinforced wooden door that hangs ajar behind it.
Rayden advances forward, listening for clues of life inside
Rayden: Skill [Perception] [1d20+5 = 14]
Inside the door you see a small square chamber and another reinforced door that also hangs open widely. There are murder holes on either side of the chamber where defenders of this place might stab invaders with spears.

Beyond the second door you can see a large, dark chamber. Unlit but for the sliver of muted light that shines from the doorway onto the flagstone floor.

Editor’s note: Rayden has darkvision and Tobias and Blair did not bring light sources

GM describing to Rayden: The chamber is empty of furniture but tattered tapestries and empty iron sconces hang on the walls. The flagstone floor is covered in dirt and leaves and the scent of rot and mildew hangs strongly in the air.
Blair Craddock: Did we bring any torches Sir Tobias?
GM describing to Rayden: Across the entry hall you can see a heavy set of ornate double doors.
Tobias Hastings: Hmm… i seem to have a momentary slip in thought.
Tobias Hastings: I know a spell that can produce light but i can’t remember the entire incantion…. Not my finest hour
Blair Craddock: We should retreat to the Orion and get some then.
Blair Craddock: I don’t fancy getting stabbed in the dark.
Blair Craddock manages a dark look at Rayden.
Tobias Hastings: Not a bad idea. At least we can alert the others that the courtyard is safe. They can follow us back

Ignoring the others, Rayden disappears into the darkness of the large chamber and moves to the ornate double doors he can see on the opposite side.
Rayden chuckles softly.
GM: What are you going to do?
Blair Craddock: Mercenary, stop! We should get torches and return.
Rayden: I’ll be here when you get back with your sissy torches
Rayden’s Perception Check: [1d20+5 = 8]
Tobias Hastings: Leave the stalker to his games. Let’s go get your father.
Tobias Hastings makes his way into the courtyard and out the front gate.
GM describing to Rayden: The doors are carved with detail and care. You can’t hear anything behind them but looking around the room you can see two doorways pressed into the corners of the rooms – they weren’t able to be seen from the doorway.
[w] Rayden: are those for the murder rooms?
[w] GM to Rayden: Yea.
GM: Damn, gotta remember how to lock drawing to the grid
[w] Rayden: I’m going to attempt to open the ornate door
GM: You will need to perception to see if they are locked/stucked
Rayden: Skill [Perception] [1d20+5 = 22]
Rayden can see that the ornate door appears stuck. He will have to try and bust them open.
Rayden attempts to force the door open.
Rayden: Strength bonus [1d20 = 14]
The door pushes open with a thump as a pile of dirt behind it gives way. You open up to see a brightly lit courtyard overgrown with vines, trees and flowers. The second and third floors of the Keep have open air halls that open up onto it.
Rayden: Skill [Perception] [1d20+5 = 21]
Rayden looks for anything out of the ordinary.
Rayden, old cobblestones are all that are left of the paths that must have wound through this small courtyard. A chill runs down your spine as you see a strange shadow on the second floor that seems separate from the rest. Someone or something is up there, hidden from your sight.
Rayden whistles loudly to alert the others
Your whistle echoes along the walls but no one comes running, you are alone
(Unnamed): You are the only one brave enough to continue?
The tall, cloaked shadow seems to flicker as a disembodied voice calls down at you.
Rayden: Something like that.
The voice speaks down, feminine but with an unearthly reverberating quality.
The Voice: Somewhat sad…somewhat. I had expected more daring from those that follow the princes.
There is an unearthly silence in the courtyard, broken only by your voices.
Rayden: Well, I’m not one to dissapoint. Come at me.
The hidden speaker chuckles lightly.
The Voice: Is that what you want, an enemy?
The Voice: I am not here to fight you.
Rayden: Than do something, because gods you are boring me
The hidden speaker laughs loudly.
The Voice: Yes, I think I shall…
The shadow shifts forward and shrinks. A small girl appears in the light and pulls back her hood. She has fawn colored hair that hangs down to her chin. She is fair featured and when she speaks, her voice is no longer the same unearthly timbre. Now, it is sweet and innocent.
Young Girl: Or rather, we shall do something. I would like an audience with the prince if you would be so kind.
Rayden motions behind him
Rayden: He’s back there if you are so inclined
Rayden walks towards the courtyard wall to inspect it.
Across the courtyard you can see another set of doors.
Young Girl: Can I trust you?
A similar set of double doors is on the opposite side of the courtyard Rayden.
Rayden: You can’t trust anyone, sweetheart.
The young girl smiles.
Tobias and Blair arrive outside the Keep with torches.
Young Girl looks down toward Rayden and from behind her an owl flys out landing on a makeshift stone perch near her.
Young Girl: Maybe so.
Tobias Hastings: Well that trip was nearly pointless. Shall we continue where we left off kid?
Blair Craddock nods and lights his torch.
g3k (Rayden): lol, faces when they see the courtyard light illuminating the room
Tobias Hastings follows suit and enters the portcullis
Tobias, you and Blair enter the large chamber to see it lit up and a set of double doors on the opposite side open to a green enclosed courtyard. The chamber is empty of furniture but tattered tapestries and empty iron sconces hang on the walls. The flagstone floor is covered in dirt and leaves and the scent of rot and mildew hangs strongly in the air. (Though the scent of the trees and flowers in the courtyard are beginning to wash it out.)

You hear voices coming from the courtyard: a small girl’s and Rayden’s.
Tobias Hastings: Seems he found someone
Young Girl looks down toward Rayden and from behind her an owl flys out landing on a makeshift stone perch near her.
Blair Craddock: She sounds so young… what form of person would live here?
Rayden continues walking towards the doors on the other side of the courtyard
Tobias Hastings: Sorry to be cliché, but appearances are deceiving. I doubt she is as young as she sounds
Young Girl: I think your allies are nearly here.
Rayden: Allies?
Rayden chuckles
The young Girl smiles sweetly
Tobias Hastings: Spell [Detect Magic] → Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Tobias Hastings chants softly to himself before heading toward the source of the convo.
Tobias, you and Blair walk into a brightly lit courtyard. Rayden is walking across it towards another set of ornate doors and a small child stands at the railing of the second floor. While there is a stone wall on the first level, there are open air hallways that wrap around the courtyard on the second and third levels.
The young Girl smiles brightly to the newcomers.
Rayden, you reach the second set of double doors.
Tobias Hastings: Well it seems this little piece of heaven does have a master.
Tobias Hastings: Or mistress as the case may be.
Young Girl (grinning): You think I own this ruin?
Tobias Hastings seems to study the little girl.
Young Girl: Or that I am the only one here?
Tobias Hastings: Spell [Detect Magic] → Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
The little girl radiates magical auras.
Tobias Hastings: So you have friends?
Young Girl: That’s yet to be seen.
Tobias Hastings: Cryptic, aren’t we?
Young Girl: Yes, for now.
Tobias Hastings: Well i’m loving the banter, but we’ve come to see if this place would be hospitable to stay for a bit, but seeing as it’s occupied…
Young Girl (smiling): It could be yours.
Blair Craddock watches the girl mistrustfully. “What’s your name?”
Tobias Hastings: And the price?
The young Girl gives him a long look. :)
Young Girl: Not to be paid to me, if that’s your concern.
GM: Rayden, what are you doing as they talk? I’m assuming you aren’t getting involved?
Young Girl: Rather this ruin is the dwelling of many animals. The price is the simple matter of dispatching them.
Tobias Hastings: And what of you?
Young Girl: Another matter entirely. I am here to see you.
Tobias Hastings: Another tracker. I might have guessed. And what would you ask of us?
Rayden, you reach the doors. They seem nearly identical to the others. But they are locked.
Rayden begins trying to unlock the doors across the courtyard.
Rayden: Skill [Disable Device] [1d20+5 = 19]
Young Girl: An audience with the prince.
Tobias Hastings: And why should we allow that?
Blair Craddock: She must be one of the Usurper’s assassins! How could she have found us so far north?
Young Girl looks sweetly at Blair. “Or I am here to offer fealty.”
Young Girl: A bargain no one could turn down.
[w] → Rayden: the door is locked. You can feel it this time.
Tobias Hastings: Again. Why?
Tobias Hastings: What’s in it for you?
Young Girl: That discussion is better held with the prince.
The door clicks as the tumbler slides out of place, Rayden has unlocked it.
Tobias Hastings: hmm. And if you found us so easily, why do you request our permission for an audience with the prince?
Young Girl: A gesture of good will.
Young Girl: You already question my motives, as right you should. How would it look if I merely appeared on your ship.
Blair Craddock (whispering to Tobias): What are your orders, Sir?
Young Girl waits calmly.
Rayden opens the door
Tobias Hastings calls out. “Stalker! where have you slinked off to?”
Rayden: I haven’t “slinked” anywhere, I’m right here
Rayden waves sarcastically like a woman
Across the courtyard, the doors are opened by Rayden and the light reveals another large chamber and a startled grizzly bear. It roars angrily as it blinks at the light.
Darkstrom: Welp, this should be interesting.
Darkstrom: Surprise round, you all have one action
Young Girl looks down calmly.
Young Girl (to Tobias): As I said, this place is the dwelling of beasts.
Tobias Hastings: How’s that hand of yours kid? ready for another round?
Darkstrom: I’m setting you up, roll initiative
Tobias Hastings: Initiative [1d20 = 10]
Rayden: Initiative [1d20+4 = 6]
g3k (Rayden): fffffffuuuuuuu
Young Girl: Initiative [1d20+4 = 23]
Surprise Round
GM: The order is Girl, Blair, Tobias, Rayden, Grizzly
GM: You each have one action (maximum of standard)
GM: Since this is a surprise round
GM: We’ll go with you, Girly
GM: What do you do for the surprise round – you are on the second floor looking down.
[TURN] The Girl
The Girl looks down at the others.
The Girl: If I help you, will you allow me an audience with the prince?
Tobias Hastings: If you prove your worth, so be it.
The Girl I will do my best. (smiles)
Blair Craddock is reaching for his spear – his eyes fearful.
The Girl moves to the edge of the railing, and and oversized robes flair at the back extending outward into the wings of a crow.
Blair blanches with shock and fear at the Girl’s changing form.
Tobias Hastings: Stay calm, kid. use your bow. and the potion if you have to.
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Blair drops his sword and with startling quickness pulls out his bow and an arrow, he strings it and fires.
Blair Craddock: [1d20+3 = 23]
Blair Craddock: [1d20+3 = 8] (Confirm roll)
Blair Craddock: [1d6 = 6]
The arrow hits the bear in its meaty shoulder, it roars with pain and rage.
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
Tobias Hastings instantly becomes stone-faced and moves up to the wall, oddly-curved sword drawn.
[TURN] Rayden
Rayden: Wild Empathy (Cha bonus) [1d20 = 20]
The bear snorts as Rayden adopts a more submissive/concillitary posture. But it doesn’t seem to be any less angry.
[TURN] The Girl
The Girl extends her dark wings and descends to the floor below to land lightly next to Tobias.
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Blair pulls another arrow and fires.
GM: [1d20+3 = 18]
GM: [1d6 = 1]
The arrow imbeds itself into the bear’s other shoulder but the bear seems to barely feel it.
Blair maintains his ground and says loudly, “Keep your distance if you can. These things can crush a man in one swing!”
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
Tobias Hastings: Well i am not exactly fighting at full capabiltiy here.
The chamber the bear is in is littered with the skeletal remains of animals and the rank stench that washes out of its makeshift den is enough to make your eyes water a bit.
Tobias Hastings quickly runs one finger across the blade of his weapon, leaving an arcing trail of electricity along the way. He bounds around the corner, heading full on toward the bear.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 23]
Blair shouts, “Sir Tobias! Be careful!”
Tobias Hastings: [DAMAGE] MW Falcata [1d8+4 = 8]
The bear roars with surprise as you rush in as it rises, carving a deep cut into its muscled shoulders and back.
Tobias Hastings grins wickedly as the momentum takes him into a spin.
[TURN] Rayden
Rayden: [ATTACK] Switchblade [CRIT 19] [AUTOMATIC MISS] [1d20+5 = 6]
Rayden takes his blade behind his arm and slashes at the beast, only to have it run along it’s thick coat
Tobias Hastings: hmph. nice swing there Stalker
[GM] [TURN] Grizzly Bear
The bear rises to its full height, roaring. (AoO Rayden and Tobias).
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 23]
Tobias Hastings: [DAMAGE] MW Falcata [1d8+4 = 6]
Tobias Hastings: coming out of his spin, Tobias brings the blade up, catching the rising bear on the jaw.
Rayden: [ATTACK] Switchblade [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 14]
The bear roars in anger as Rayden’s switchblade has trouble penetrating its heavy coat and the curved blade of Tobias catches it in the chin. It reaches out a giant paw and brings it down heavily at Tobias.
GM: Claw [1d20+7 = 10]
Tobias, you duck under it and the claws barely scratch through your hair.
[TURN] The Girl
Tobias and Rayden duck and dodge as the bear begins swiping and biting at them.
The Girl steps lightly behind Tobias, her small hand reaching out for his back. For a moment as she touches him, her nails are long white and flat. Tobias, warmth spreads through you.
The Girl: The bear will not go down easy.
The Girl: 1 [1d81 = 3]
Lee (The Girl): lol heal for 3 damage.
Tobias, without the aid of the Conclave or with muttered prayers or spells the strange girl heals your wounds some.
Tobias Hastings: Hmm. My thanks, my dear.
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Blair tries to get a clean shot despite having the three of you ducking and weaving with the huge bear.
GM: [1d20+3 = 17]
The arrow flies past the bear and smashes into the wall.
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
Tobias Hastings winds up for another swing, hopefully taking him down before he does the same to them.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 7]
Tobias misses badly and tries to shove past Rayden.
Tobias Hastings (to Rayden): Move over genius, you’re cramping my style.
[TURN] Rayden
Rayden: Skill [Acrobatics] [1d20+9 = 17]
The bear swipes at you as you tumble past.
GM: [1d20+7 = 23]
GM: [1d6+5 = 7]
The claws catch you offguard, they rake through your clothing and you can feel warm blood burst from the wounds as it roars angrily. (-7hp)
Rayden: [ATTACK] Switchblade [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 13]
Rayden: [DAMAGE] Sneak Attack [1d6 = 6]
Rayden: [DAMAGE] Switchblade [1d4 = 1]
The bear is now bleeding from multiple wounds, it looks badly injured and that only makes it more dangerous.
[GM] [TURN] Grizzly Bear
The bear lashes out with a paw at Rayden.
GM: [1d20+7 = 16]
The bear’s claws rake down upon Rayden.
GM: [1d6+5 = 6]
Rayden, the impact knocks you into the wall and you crumple. (-6hp you are negative hp now).
Darkstrom: or are you…
Darkstrom: 7+6
Darkstrom: 1hp left!
g3k (Rayden): awww yeah
The bear swings at Tobias as well.
GM: [1d20+7 = 8]
Tobias, you manage to step out of the way but as the bear claws Rayden it tries to grab him while snapping at you with its jaws.
GM: Claw [1d20+13 = 31]
.
GM: Grab [1d20+13 = 14]
Tobias, the bear’s jaws catch you.
GM: [1d6+5 = 7]
They clamp down on your shoulder, you can hear your body crunch and then it releases – its teeth stained with blood (-7hp).
[TURN] The Girl
Tobias Hastings: Augh! you ugly mongrel!!
Blair shouts, “Sir Tobias! I’m coming sir!”
Tobias Hastings: No! stay back!
The Girl mutters to herself and presses both hands forceful to Tobias’s back.
The Girl: 1 [1d81 = 5]
Lee (The Girl): lol heal 5
Tobias Hastings: we’ve thinned out, you can kill from there!
Blair retorts. “A knight never shirks from danger! And I can’t get a clear shot!”
Tobias Hastings: Thank you again my dear.
Rayden looks very badly injured.
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Tobias Hastings: Fine! get up here and kill this piece of trash
Blair drops his bow and with lightning speed pulls out his spear as he rushes forward.
He stabs at the bear with all the might of his young body.
GM: [1d20+2 = 12]
The spear sticks into the bear’s fur but doesn’t penetrate its hide.
Blair Craddock: Pholtus guide me!!! Damnable beast!
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
Tobias Hastings is spurred on by the support of the mysterious girl and presses on.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 11]
Your falcata barely misses the bear’s mighty head.
[TURN] Rayden
Rayden stabs at the beast as it’s slowing down in the neck
Rayden: [ATTACK] Switchblade [CRIT 19] (2) [1d207 = 16]
Rayden: [DAMAGE] Switchblade [1d4 = 2]
Rayden: [DAMAGE] Sneak Attack [1d6 = 6]
The bear roars and swipes at you as it swings widely in its frenzy.
[GM] [TURN] Grizzly Bear
The bear swings at Tobias and Rayden, its jaws snatch forward as well.
GM: Claw [1d20+7 = 18]
GM: Claw [1d20+7 = 9]
GM: Bite [1d20+3 = 10]
The bear swings at Tobias and its claws catch him as he tries to recover from his swing, the bear also swings at Rayden and then bites at him but both miss by millimeters.
GM: [1d6+5 = 7]
Tobias, another nasty swing nearly knocks you to the floor (-7hp) and the bear tries to grab hold of you and rip you apart.
GM: [1d20+13 = 28]
The bear is now grappling with TObias.
Darkstrom: oops, I take it back
Darkstrom: If I wanted it to grab with its body part and still be able to act normally with its other attacks it was -20 which missed
The bear is unable to pull Tobais into its grasp while still fending off the others.
It backs away, towards the corner.
[TURN] The Girl
The Girl ducks between Tobias and Blair to Rayden’s side. She presses an otherworldly hand on the mercenary.
The Girl: [1d8+1 = 6]
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Blair moves in to spear the bear again.
GM: [1d20+2 = 19]
The spear hits home.
GM: [1d8+1 = 8]
The spear disappears into the bear’s gut, the bear lets out a rumbling, groaning roar and then slumps down – its eyes begin glazing over and dies.
Tobias Hastings: Aw… kid got the kill shot.
Tobias Hastings: Way to steal all the fun
Blair grins widely. “Praise be to the Gods!”
Rayden: They had nothing to do with it
He looks at Tobias and Rayden filled with excitement but frowns at Rayden’s words.
Rayden: Any more beasties that we should know about, girl?
The bear burbles a death rattle as Blair yanks his spear out of its guts.
The Girl folds her wings which meld back into her cloak.
The Girl: There are spiders…anything beyond that I am unaware of.
The Girl: Though I should say this is a large keep and who knows what else lurks here.
Tobias Hastings: Well not to sound like a poor sport but i highly doubt we are in the best shape to continue on just yet.
Tobias Hastings: The think the girl has earned her reward. We can finish clearing this place out tomorrow
Rayden: Hardly, just wondering what else might be hding out here.
The Girl smiles to Tobias.
Blair Craddock nods. “I agree Sir Tobias, his Highness should know of the dangers.”
You get a better look of the chamber you are in. To your right (from entering from the courtyard) you see two statues set into the wall: One is of a beautiful woman with her hands outstretched and a bowl in them. The other is of a stern, righteous looking man – the perfect physical specimen.
Tobias Hastings: hmph. Typical arrogance
To your left there are stairs leading upwards and a broken door. A set of beautiful double doors is to your far right and the Golden Circle – emblem of the Conclave is embedded into each.

Editor’s note: The statues are of the Gods of the Conclave (the only gods legal to worship in Calithor: Pholtus and Geshtai).

Rayden: Perhaps we should head back to the ship and let the good prince know about what we’ve found
The Girl ‘s owl finds a low perch nearby to watch the group.
Tobias Hastings: Wow. a straight forward and smart idea from the stalker. who knew?
Blair Craddock: I’m ready, Sir Tobias.
Blair Craddock goes back out into the courtyard and collects his sword and bow.
Tobias Hastings wipes his blade on the bear’s fur and follows the boy.
Tobias Hastings: Then let’s go.
Blair Craddock: You never told us your name, Lady…?
The Girl smiles up at Blair “No, I never did.”
Blair Craddock: What is it then?
Blair Craddock: My name is Blair Craddock, Squire of the Realm in service to my father: Lord Protector Craddock.
The Girl: …So free with your name….
The Girl: I am sorry but I will not do the same.
Blair’s eyes narrow suspiciously.
Tobias Hastings: Not everyone is as trusting as you, kid. Let it go.
Tobias Hastings sheathes his sword and works his way out of the keep
Blair Craddock: Then what do we call you?
Rayden chuckles. “Ain’t that cute”
The Girl begins walking back to the courtyard. “What would you call me?”
Rayden takes out a pipe and a strikes a match, a strange smell starts filling up the room.
Blair Craddock looks thoughtful and suspicious. He follows Tobias along with the Girl, not responding.
Rayden follows the group, leisurely strolling behind
You make your way out of the keep and down the rocky hillside until you reach the cliffs above the cove. The Orion sits in the placid water and you can see the crew, the Lord Protector, and Prince Theodric on the deck. They all appear to be watching you. Supplies are stacked on the ship’s deck.
Prince Theodric calls out, “Who is the child?” As you approach the cliff.
The Girl the girl stares down at the boat
Tobias Hastings: I highly doubt she is actually a child, Prince. She wishes an audience
The Girl looks up with a knowing smile toward Tobias.
Tobias Hastings: And suffice to say I think she earned one.
The Lord Protector is suddenly there, in front of the prince – a hand on his sword. “What do you mean Sir Hastings?” His immensely muscled frame is surprisingly nimble for a middle-aged, muscular warrior.
Tobias Hastings: I mean, she helped your only son fell a grizzly
The Girl ‘s owl floats over head before lighting upon a rocky ledge.
The Prince watches the girl with curiousity. “Then she shall have an audience. Though your words are cryptic, Tobias.” To the Girl he says, “Come aboard and I shall grant you your audience.”
The Lord Protector appears unconvinced but does not contradict the prince.
The Girl turns to Tobias and states softly, “Thank you.”
Tobias Hastings smiles slightly and nods down to her.
Rayden: Skill [Climb] [1d20+5 = 12]
Tobias Hastings (whispering): Keep an eye on her kid.
Rayden, the climb is harder than it was coming up. You aren’t able to make any progress. Blair nods silently at Tobias’s words as he begins to climb down the cliff.
Tobias Hastings turns and picks his way down the cliff face back to the ship, leaving the others onthe ledge. (took a 10)
Blair takes his time, following Tobias’s lead (taking a 10.)
Rayden: Skill [Climb] [1d20+5 = 7]
GM: Rayden, you failed the climb check but not enough to fall ;) You may want to consider jumping and rolling. You’d have a better chance.
Rayden: Skill [Acrobatics] [1d20+9 = 18]
Rayden, giving up on trying to climb you just jump and roll gracefully to your feet with the barest coating of sand.
The Girl sits at the edge of the cliff, dangling her feet over the edge watching them descend. When the last has reached the ground she stands and releases wings once more while leaping and floating to the ground.
There is an uproar on the ship in response to the Girl’s more inhuman parts.
The Girl ‘s wings vanish as soon as she reaches the rocky bottom.
Captain Hem falls to his knees, his eyes wide and his big moustache shaking as he wails. The Lord Protector pushes the Prince backwards and draws his great sword, and Slim and Jim race off into the crew quarters.
Tobias Hastings: Whoa whoa. Back off Craddock
The Prince, for his credit, manages with just a gasp before being knocked back protectively by Lord Craddock.
Tobias Hastings: She is fine. Prince granted her an audience. She deserves one.
The Girl says nothing but watches the reaction with quiet amusement.
Lord Protector Craddock speaks in a threatening baritone. “The good gods locked away beings like them for our safety. Now you bring one to his Highness? No doubt it seeks to possess him!”
Tobias Hastings stands toe to toe with the Lord Protector, growling right back.
Darkstrom: The Lord Protector is slightly shorter than you but literally built like a tank. He’s middle-aged, 40s, and barrel-chested and muscular with dark body hair. He doesn’t look at all intimidated by you.
Tobias Hastings: The Prince needs every ally he can find. She just wants to talk. And I never agreed to it being an audience alone.
Tobias Hastings: I am not THAT stupid, SIRE.
Prince Theodric stands and says in a firm voice. “Enough. Lord Robert, Tobias is right. I will listen to what this… being… has to say. With my protectors, of course,” He looks at the Girl, “What is your name?”
The Girl meets his gaze. “That really depends on you.”
Lord Craddock steps back from his confrontation with Tobias at the Prince’s command.
Prince Theodric: I rather dislike cryptic statements, speak clearly.
The Girl: If it would suit you so, then I will speak…differently…but it changes nothing.
The Girl: I don’t offer a name except I may take one you offer.
The Girl: and also to say, that I hope you will call me friend and not enemy.
Prince Theodric: What reason would I have to trust a being such as yourself. What are you?
Rayden puffs heavily on the pipe, watching at the faces of crew members reacting to the smell
The Girl ‘s owl hoots high above.
The Girl: Older than old. A primal dream.
The Girl: One who offers guidance and fealty.
Prince Theodric: One of the Hidden? Those beings of air and magic banished from this world by the good Gods?
The Girl smiles with the mischief of the child’s face she wears.
Prince Theodric waits for the girl to answer. Then getting fed up he says, “You refuse to say?”
The Girl: It is sometimes difficult to answer to stories told from a side I am not familiar with. But I am learning.
The Girl: Yes, would be the most fitting answer…but I promise, “Hidden”, “air”, “Magic”, “good Gods”. Just words.
Prince Theodric: Why would you want to help us?
Tobias Hastings: Yes, that was my question. But she seems to only answer you directly.
The Prince has his arms crossed, his face serious and his brow furrowed with thought.
The Girl: Young Prince, you did not arrive here by accident. It was meant to be. I waited through the storm for you to arrive.
The Girl: I am here to offer you a deal that will benefit you and my kind as well.
The Girl: symbiosis. That is why I am here.
Prince Theodric looks at the girl for a moment, obviously uncertain.
Tobias Hastings bites his tongue, though obviously wanting to speak.
Prince Theodric: What would you offer? What do you want?
The Girl: You sleep in floating coffin while your enemy sleeps in your bed. Your men, strong men, fight bears and withered dogs for possession of nothing while the usurper sits in your castle.
The Girl: I offer, on behalf of the first people…
The Girl: my service -to see you placed squarely back upon the throne to lord over all the human lands…
The Girl: and in exchange you give up, for all time, certain lands that were not your ancestors’ to take.
The Prince clenches his jaw. He looks at Tobias, “You say she aided Blair against a bear. What help did she offer?”
Tobias Hastings: She has healing properties. But the power comes from within her, without the use of spell or incantation.
Prince Theodric: I must think more on this. What are these lands you wish me to cede?
The Girl: What you humans would call “The King’s Wood” and one other, “The Blackwood.”
The Girl: Once you are King, you relinquish both these places to the wild.
Prince Theodric: That’s it?
Prince Theodric: That’s all you ask?
The Girl laughs, a laugh far too adult.
The Girl: Do not take the request lightly. No human may safely tread there again.
The Girl: No part of it may be claimed by men.
The Girl: for all time.
Tobias Hastings: You do realize that the Prince will not live “for all time”
The Girl looks up at Tobias
The Girl: Yes, but just as I represent the old ones, he makes this bargain as representative of all humans.
Prince Theodric’s face grows somber and he looks at the deck. He appears deep in thought.
Tobias Hastings: So my question, if I may interrupt.
Prince Theodric nods for Tobias to continue.
Tobias Hastings: What is the penalty when the agreement is broken
The Girl: We of the old dream will hold all people to this bargain regardless of human ways.
Tobias Hastings: I say when, because humans are foolish and they forget.
Rayden: Hah
Rayden: Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
The Girl: Then it would be wise someone instructs your offspring.
Rayden: HAHAHAHahahaHAHahahaha
Rayden wipes a tear from his eye
The Girl grins at Rayden coyly.
Tobias Hastings: You have not answered the question.
Tobias Hastings: I asked the penalty
The Prince looks over at Rayden, annoyed.
The Girl looks seriously into Tobias’s eyes.
The Girl: “They will be subject to the whims of the first.”
The Girl: whatever those might be.
Prince Theodric: I will consider your offer.
Prince Theodric: The lands you ask for are well-used for logging. The King’s Wood, I would easily part. A private hunting reserve is not of such importance as the quality lumber pulled from the Blackwood.
Prince Theodric: Would you be willing to take just the King’s Wood?
The Girl smiles darkly. “No.”
The Prince looks troubled and stands thoughtfully for a long period before finally speaking again.
Prince Theodric: Very well. When I am King and the Crown of Calithor rests upon my brow I will grant your request.
Prince Theodric: Only then.
The Girl (puffs up happily): A bargain is struck.
The Girl: Then I will serve to ensure that day happens.
Tobias Hastings flips through his book, suddenly bored with the conversation.
Prince Theodric turns to Tobias and Lord Robert. “Lord Robert, would you please fetch my brother. He must be informed of our new ‘guest’. Tobias, I want you to stay with her at all times until I know we can trust her intentions.”
Tobias Hastings: As you wish, Your Highness.
Prince Theodric turns back to the girl. “You said if we need to call you something we must name you ourselves?”
The Girl reaches up to take Tobias’s hand still playing the small child.
The Girl: Yes, Prince, you must name me.
Prince Theodric nods then says to all of you. “What else is it you have found in the Keep? Is it safe for us to enter?”
Tobias Hastings: The outer courtyard yes. Clearing the rest of the keep will take time
Tobias Hastings: i would suggest a guard at the each gate until we have fully secured it.
Rayden: As well as a small cleaning detail, it’s not fit for living at all.
Rayden says in a mock tone of a pretentious person
Tobias Hastings: Obviously….
Prince Theodric (dryly): I’m sure you’ve lived in much worse.
Rayden (“grinning): slyly” If you only knew, sweet prince
Tobias Hastings laughs a little too loudly.
Prince Theodric: We will remain on the ship until you are certain the keep is safe. We are too few to risk attempting to make camp within its walls and with the Orion we can flee quickly if necessary.
Tobias Hastings: Fine. Allow me the rest of the day to rest and Blair and I will return tomorrow.
The Girl: I will accompany you of course.
Rayden: Likewise, I’m tired of bobbing around in the Blue
Tobias Hastings: Of course, Crow.
Prince Theodric nods at Tobias’ name for the girl. “As good a name as any. Crow. Come then, rest and thank you for your service.”
Crow: Crow is acceptable if it is to your liking.
Prince Theodric: Let us see if we can’t clean your wounds.
GM: We’ll end it here. Lord Robert descends into the hold to find Prince Ethan and you are free to rest. Though there is obviously no hammock for “Crow” if that’s what she’s being named.

View
The Beginning

Note: All Adventure logs are posted as transcripts (after editing out the OOC banter and fixing the “flow” to make more sense (read: overlapping player responses).
Edit: UGH! I forgot that OP won’t keep my text color, bolding, etc. from the MSword document to help make things a bit more readable.

The group left the magnificent city of Corwell in flames and fled by ship from the Usurper King’s armies with the deposed sons of King Rhodri II Gwertherion. For the last month and your new reality has been the ocean breeze, the night stars, and the blue waves that splash foam against The Orion’s sturdy sides. The unpleasant side to this reality is that a ship meant to hold five and cargo holds nine and cargo. While the Princes share a small cabin; you, Lord Craddock, his son Blair, and the ship’s crew and captain share the ship’s hold.
Two days south, the village elder of a nameless village told your group of an old castle, long forgotten, that rests along the shoreline at the edge of the Northern Reach – just south of the end of “civilized” lands.

GM: It’s afternoon, just after noon. Where on the ship are you?

Tobias Hastings sits on the prow of the ship, book in hand as always, his thick leather boots bracing against the walls of the boat. He is completely focused on his reading, blocking out even the seaspray as it rips through his wild blonde mane.

The day is July 18th, the height of summer. A sharp wind crosses the deck of the ship, cooling the afternoon’s heat. Off the starboard side of the Orion the sea crashes against the Rocky shores and cliffs of the Northern Reach.

The old, bent Captain of the Orion – a man named Hem – stands atop the stern cabin at the ship’s wheel while another crew member scrubs the deck with a blonde-haired youth, the Lord Protector’s son – Blair Craddock. The Lord Protector himself has been locked away with Prince Theodric and Prince Ethan all day.
The Captain shouts, “Make ‘er gleam lads! Man always takes care of ’is ship or she’ll drown him sure as the sun rises!” He then sets his eyes on Tobias, resting at the prow of the boat. “More’n enough work for all lad – if yer not worried about breaking a nail.”
Tobias Hastings lazily flicks wrist and water from a nearby bucket leaps out and begins swirling across the deck. He raises an eyebrow at the captain and turns back to his book.
Blair wipes the sweat off his youthful face and snickers; he is shirtless and wears worn linen pants that go down to his ankles.
The Captain shakes his head and walks away, muttering something inaudible.

Lord Craddock, the Lord Protector of Calithor, emerges from the Prince’s cabin looking dour as always. He is a massive bear of a man with thick knots of muscle. Despite being middle age, he is easily the strongest man on the ship and you know from your experiences escaping Corwell that he is a damned good fighter with or without a weapon.
Prince Theodric emerges after him, “So we are agreed then Lord Robert?”
Tobias Hastings pricks up an ear, but no other sign he is paying attention
The giant man nods, scratching his trimmed black beard thoughtfully. “Aye, my liege.” He bows, looking stern. “That plan could work.” He looks around for a moment before whispering in a softer voice.

Tobias Hastings: Skill [Perception] [1d20+1 = 10]
The sea breeze whips the man’s words from his mouth and you can’t hear any more of the conversation.

After speaking, Lord Craddock turns with a bow and descends into the Orion’s hold. Prince Theodric glances over to see you and smiles brightly. Tall and regal, his face is youthful and aristocratic with high cheek-bones and blue eyes. He wears fine clothes that have been soiled by the sweat and toil of life aboard the Orion.
Prince Theodric: Tobias!
Prince Theodric walks over.
Prince Theodric: How are you doing this afternoon my friend?
Tobias Hastings shoots a cocky smile at the man.
Tobias Hastings: Hello Prince.
Tobias Hastings: Having fun planning our next adventure?
Prince Theodric: Hah. Adventure.
Prince Theodric blue eyes grow darker as he recalls the past month and a half. “I’d call this more of a nightmare than anything else.”
Tobias Hastings: oh come now. Are you not enjoying time away from the stuffy cahstle?
Prince Theodric: No. How could I with the knowledge that my realm lays in the hands of that murderer even as my father still lies fresh in his grave.
Tobias Hastings: You shall have your revenge soon enough.
Tobias Hastings: Ahnd it shall be sweet I ahm sure
Prince Theodric nods and then changes the subject.
Prince Theodric: The Captain has told me we’ve reached the stretch of coast this abandoned castle is rumored to be. If it’s here, we should find it soon.
As he finishes speaking, the door to the princes’ cabin opens again and a slip of a child steps out: young Prince Ethan.
He is a frail, pale boy with dark hair and eyes. He squints at the sunlight and inspects his surroundings – staring long at you and his brother before turning his inquisitive gaze elsewhere.
Tobias Hastings’s countenance instantly transforms as he jumps down off the prow and bows deeply.
Tobias Hastings: Ah my liege! How does the noon take thee today?
Prince Theodric guffaws.
Tobias Hastings cracks a deep smile.
Prince Ethan turns back to you, “I am well.” He says in a whispery voice. “I trust you are as well?”
He seems a bit suspicious of your effusive welcome.
Tobias Hastings: Just anahther day in paradise for your most loyal servant.
Prince Theodric watches the exchange, holding his tongue but looking amused.
Prince Ethan nods slowly. “That is good. I am pleased. Good day, Tobias.” He turns and begins to make his way towards the lower deck.
Tobias Hastings turns back to Theodric.
Tobias Hastings: Your brother is SO much like you Prince, it is scary.
Prince Theodric laughs.
Prince Theodric: He’s always been like that, I don’t know why you keep trying.
Tobias Hastings: Because it is amusing. What other reason should there be?
Tobias Hastings begins to take his position back on the prow.
Tobias Hastings: So what IS the plan anyway? Fahnd this elusive cahstle? Then what? I assume it is occupied.
Prince Theodric: Supposedly not.
Prince Theodric: The old woman said it was abandoned and known only to the people of her village from their fishing trips.
Tobias Hastings: So how exactly are we supposed to find it? We are not exactly explorers you realize
Prince Theodric nods.
Prince Theodric: She said that it is sitting right upon the sea. This region is so remote that almost no one from the south has sailed this far north in quite a long time.
Tobias Hastings: Great…. Jagged rocks here we come!
Tobias Hastings: Please tell me you can swim. Because if it comes down to me saving your or your brother. I’m picking your brother
Tobias Hastings: He’s lighter.
Tobias Hastings grins
Prince Theodric smirks at Tobias’ joke.
Prince Theodric: I can swim better than you I’m sure.
Prince Theodric: And I’d pick the same if it was between you and he!
Tobias Hastings: Now that, my friend, sounds like a challenge.
Prince Theodric: Perhaps once we’ve got a return point that isn’t moving we’ll make it a wager. Anyway, once we find this castle the plan first and foremost is to find a safe place to rest and recover. Losing the Valorous with my soldiers really cost us.

Editor’s note: The Valorous was another ship that sailed from Corwell with the Orion. During an attempt to land at the town of Ashenport the Usurper’s assassins and mercenaries ambushed you. The ambush claimed the Valorous which was set afire while docked.

Tobias Hastings: On a serious note, how do we know we are not headed into another ambush?
Prince Theodric: We don’t. But I’m hoping we sailed faster than the Duke’s men can ride. They’ll surely be continuing north as well. But we don’t have any other options, Tobias.
Prince Theodric: If we find this castle we can rest and recuperate.
Prince Theodric: Hunt some game and eat something besides hardtack and dried fish.
Tobias Hastings: You know, we could always have fresh fish.
Tobias Hastings grimaces as he looks through the waves.
The sea is dark and cold, the Orion cuts a white swath through the water.
Prince Theodric: With what net?
Tobias Hastings: hmm….
Tobias Hastings: good point
Prince Theodric: Quite.
Prince Theodric smirks slightly.
Tobias Hastings: you win one.
Tobias Hastings: ONE. mind you
Prince Theodric ignores you with a smile.
Prince Theodric: Once that’s done, I’d like to send some runners to the nearest settlements and see if we can’t recruit some men-at-arms and the support of the local Counties.
Prince Theodric: The Counts of the North owe much to the crown.
Tobias Hastings: Question is, while they fahllow through?
Prince Theodric: There are many questions but I believe this is the most promising path. At least when compared to sailing back into Corwell and throwing myself on one of the Duke’s pikes.
Tobias Hastings ‘s eyes sparkle with humor ever so slightly .
Tobias Hastings: Now now. Don’t be so hasty. You cannot always give them what they want
Tobias Hastings: Make them work for it.
Prince Theodric: Listen, when we find this castle.
Prince Theodric: I need you to take the mercenary and make sure it is clear of any dangers. Lord Robert and Blair will protect Ethan and I.
Prince Theodric shakes his head at your jokes.
Tobias Hastings: You sure this is the most efficient use of your gold?
Tobias Hastings: Mercenaries are only loyal to coin. Not people.
Prince Theodric: Once we’ve got the castle secured, or at least know it’s not a trap or a hoax, we’ll search for anything of use or value.
Prince Theodric: He’s served his worth, thus far.
Prince Theodric: Strangely, he seems almost ambivalent about coin as well.
Brian (Tobias Hastings): by the way you’ve never actually mentioned this merc. where is he?
Darkstrom: It’s Jeffles character
Darkstrom: he keeps to himself
Darkstrom: doesn’t really talk.
Brian (Tobias Hastings): i get that. but prince just said go with the merc, i’m assuming i met him and he’s on the ship?
Darkstrom: Yea
Darkstrom: He’s probably never said more than a couple words to anyone on the ship.
Darkstrom: He’s unsettling, there’s something off about him but the Prince needs all he can get.
Tobias Hastings: Hmm. Well I am happy to be your bait any day Prince.
Tobias Hastings smirks.
Prince Theodric: Then maybe we’ll catch some fish after all! Let me grab a rope!
Tobias Hastings: Haha. There he is
Tobias Hastings: Welcome back Prince!
Tobias Hastings slaps Theodric jovially on the back.
Prince Theodric: Aye, I doubt I’ll stay for long. Duty and all that, you know.
Prince Theodric grins.
Tobias Hastings: You and your “Duty”
Prince Theodric: Speaking of… I should go canvas our supplies again with Lord Robert. I’m sure they are just as pitiful as the last time we checked.
Tobias Hastings: Fine. Be off with you. You bore me.
Prince Theodric shoves you lightly as he stands. “You’d miss me if I was gone.” He says certainly, with a laugh.
Tobias Hastings waves him off with a smile and turns back to his book, instanly absorbed.
Prince Theodric makes his way down into the hold.

An hour passes as you read your book when suddenly a peal of thunder booms across the sea and a stout gust of wind batters into the ship. The sea picks up chop, sending the ship swaying roughly and spouting torrents of spray upon you.

GM: What do you do?

Tobias Hastings mutters to himself.
Tobias Hastings: There better not be any jagged rocks.
Tobias Hastings makes his way to the cabin, shutting himself inside the princes’ quarters.
Off the Orion’s port side the idyllic summer afternoon is quickly becoming a mariner’s hell.

The ship sways as you enter and you can hear the Captain shouting for Theodric. Through the window you can see lightning cackle and skitter as it burrows through the black clouds that wash down upon you.
The wind continues growing in ferocity, whipping the sea into curling white caps that smash against the side of the Orion and spew foamy seawater across the deck – it cascades in a waterfall down outside the window.
GM: What do you do?
Tobias Hastings: Son of a… screw this. I am not awaiting my death in here.
GM: Reflex save
Tobias Hastings: Reflex save [1d20 = 16]
Tobias Hastings secures his belongings in his coat, pulls up his hood on his linen cloak and heads back out into the storm.
The ship heaves mightly as a wave knocks it across the side. The wind is too wild now to hear anyone outside as you struggle to stay on your feet as the eerily fast storm keeps growing worse.

The sea washes over the deck and the captain is steeling the ship’s wheel against the storm as he pilots into the waves to try and keep them from broadsiding the Orion again. The crewmen work to keep the rigging and sails from ripping loose. The rain that sweeps down blurs out the world around you, the rocky shore off the starboard is completely hidden by gray sheets of rain.
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Perception] [1d20+1 = 12]
Brian (Tobias Hastings): to find the prince
Tobias can see the Prince as he rushes up from the hold, Lord Craddock leading the way. Prince Theodric clutches his little brother by the arm and he shouts something at you which gets whipped away by the wind and the rain then he motions for Craddock to hold Ethan’s hand and he makes his way up to the sterncastle where Captain Hem fights the ship’s wheel with all his wiry strength.

Lord Craddock pushes Ethan back down into the hold.
Tobias Hastings races after him, as best he can against the rocking of the ship.
Darkstrom: acrobatics please
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Acrobatics] [1d20-1 = 15]
You manage to make it up the stairs despite the slippery deck and the ship’s stomach-lurching rocking. You hear the Prince roaring at Captain Hem, “YOU SAID THE WEATHER WOULD HOLD FAIR THE REST OF THE DAY!”
Brian (Tobias Hastings): Detect magic go
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Spellcraft] [1d20+9 = 11]
Shimmering magical auras stitch the storm together and pervade the air around the ship.
Captain Hem’s large moustache whips in the wind as he yells back, “Never seen nothing like it! Slim was keeping watch and ‘e claims this just spiraled out of nothing! There’s nothing at all natural about this storm, ’ighness!”
Tobias Hastings: The captain is right. This storm definitely is not natural.
Tobias Hastings: It seems we are still being followed.
Tobias Hastings: Though by what I cannot even begin to imagine
Editor’s note: Magic this powerful is unheard of in Calithor. No court mage has ever been known to have this sort of power.

Another wave smashes against the Orion.
Theodric looks at you and nods. The Captain turns white as a sheet, “Seabitch’s tits! Dear sweet Geshtai, I know I never been much for church but don’t… don’t kill me like this!”
Tobias Hastings: I thaught it was every captain’s dream to die with his ship?
Captain Hem: Not in a demon storm! I’ll die in any reg’lar storm just not one conjured up like the hordes of hell."
Tobias Hastings: oh calm down and steer man. I am going to help your men.
Tobias Hastings makes his way down to the crew and assists with the rigging.
Prince Theodric: Captain, just do everything you can to keep us alive!
Darkstrom: perception check please
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Perception] [1d20+1 = 16]
.
The storm smashes into the ship again, pushing the Orion closer to shore. As you struggle to stay on your feet you see it: looming over the sea. A fortress commands the highest spot on the cliffs to the north. It is surrounded on three sides by the crashing sea. A stone walkway stretches out from it and over the churning water to a tower built on a barren rock surrounded by the foaming surf.
Tobias Hastings: CAPTAIN! I SEE THE FORTRESS! GET US TO SHORE! WE’LL GO ON FOOT IF WE HAVE TO JUST KEEP US ALIVE!
GM: The captain blanches. “We’ll smash on the rocks! There’ll be no anchoring until this storm passes!”
The prince looks stern but doesn’t contradict him.
Tobias Hastings: I am certain you shall tire out long before the storm does.

Behind you, one of the crew suddenly lets out a scream and flies backward as blood pours from a gash across his face. A line has snapped loose and the sail billows out of control as the Orion founders in the waves. “GRAB THAT LINE OR WE’RE ALL DEAD!” The captain orders and the other crewmember leaps for it and misses. Theodric makes his way as fast as he can but he’s still too far away.

Brian (Tobias Hastings): am i down there? i said i was heading there.
Darkstrom: You are
Darkstrom: you need to make a touch attack
Darkstrom: if you want to grab it
Tobias Hastings: Instinctively, Tobias grabs for the rope and braces himself against the side of the boat, holding on for dear life.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] Melee attack [1d20+4 = 9]
Brian (Tobias Hastings): sigh
The rope whips out of your hands and the sail billows looser as the ship bogs down into the water.
The prince keeps running for you and the line.
Darkstrom: trying again?
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] Melee attack [AUTOMATIC MISS] [1d20+4 = 5]
The line snaps you across the chest painfully as it waves in the wind. The Prince is there and he dives for it as well.
GM: [1d20+4 = 11]
The line snaps out of his hands and falls onto the slippery deck with a thud.
Tobias Hastings: Confound this stupid rope!

Darkstrom: go again.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] Melee attack [1d20+4 = 18]
GM: You grab the rope – make a CMB check
Tobias Hastings: CMB [1d20+4 = 22]
.
You wrap the rope around you arm and hold on for dear life as you try and pull it tight again so that the sail will fill once more with wind and you can avoid washing into the rocks.
The prince rises and moves to help you.
Darkstrom: strength check to keep hold of the rope
Tobias Hastings: Strength bonus [1d20+3 = 16]
Theodric: [1d20+2 = 20]
Tobias Hastings: Strength bonus [1d20+3 = 12]
With astounding grit you manage to hold firm to the rope even as it leaves painful rope burns on your arms. Theodric helps you pull it down and the uninjured crewman ties it to a new cleat in a hurry.
GM: [1d4 = 1]
Darkstrom: you take 1 non lethal
Prince Theodric: Thank the gods you grabbed the rope when you did!
Prince Theodric grasps you by the shoulders and smiles widely. “You have my thanks, Tobias!”

Tobias Hastings: Anything to keep you alive, Prince. Now convince the damn captain to shore this boat. We can’t survive like this. This storm is unnatural. I cannot say how long it will last.
Prince Theodric nods and scans the horizon.
Prince Theodric: Tobias, look out there! There’s nothing but cliffs and rocks. But.. Maybe…
He stops midsentence and begins slipping his way back to the captain.
The injured crewman crawls back towards the crew cabin, his face hanging off where the line bit him and he bleeds profusely.
The man moans loudly, weeping as he inches across the deck and the sea water washes into his wound.
Tobias Hastings curses to himself.
Tobias Hastings: Oh for crying…
Tobias Hastings makes his way over to the injured man and drags him toward the crew quarters.
“Thank you. Thank you…” He moans as he slumps on the dry(er) floor in the crew’s cabin.
Tobias Hastings grabs a bed sheet and presses it hard against his face.
The vertical gash in his face goes down his temple and cheek and across his chin. The bed sheet soaks with the man’s blood.
Tobias Hastings: Hold this here. Unfortunately I am no medic, but let me find something.
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Heal] [1d20-1 = 12]
You check the wound and see that though it is bleeding severely that it is not terribly deep. Untreated it could become a problem but with pressure the bleeding seems to slow. The man is becoming delirious from the pain. “You’s sent by Geshtai, I see it…. Names Slim, Geshtai…” The eye you can see is unfocused.
Darkstrom: make a reflex save
Tobias Hastings: Reflex save [1d20 = 11]
A wave pounds across the ship and knocks you and the injured sailor across the room. From above you, you can hear the Captain howl at the storm.
GM: [1d4 = 1]
Darkstrom: one nonlethal
The sailor tries to sit up, and presses the bandage to his wound again. “Gods, why do you send such trouble down on us?” He whispers fearfully.
Tobias Hastings: This storm is stahting to irritate me
GM: Perception please
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Perception] [1d20+1 = 11]
From outside the cabin you can hear Theodric shouting for you, even over the wind.
Tobias Hastings: I must go. Prince needs me. Stay here and keep try not to bleed to death.
The man groans in response.
Tobias Hastings: with that, Tobias makes his way back out into the hail
Theodric stands with the captain by the wheel, helping the wiry old man to hold it steady. “Tobias! Up here!” He shouts.
Tobias Hastings: Coming Dear!

Tobias Hastings wobbles toward the helm.
Prince Theodric: Tobias, help me with the wheel! The Captain’s not as strong as you!
Prince Theodric braces the wheel, his arms bulging with strain.
Tobias Hastings can’t help but beam as he grabs the wheel and steadies it from the opposite side.
Tobias Hastings: Strength bonus [1d20+3 = 15]
.
The captain gives way as you take over the wheel with Theodric. “Look there! You were right!” Theodric shouts. “I (he grunts with effort) had the Captain sail towards the castle and there looks like a sheltered cove beside it!”

Together, you and the Prince manage to hold the ship in position as it sails directly towards the cove.
The Captain yells, "I’ll get the boys ready to cut the sail and throw the anchor! Maybe Lord Craddock’s boy can help.”

He leaves you and Theodric trying to hold the wheel as all the forces of hell try to wash you against the rocks.
Tobias Hastings: Theo. Can you keep it steady if I let go for 5 seconds?
The wind howls across the ship and the waves wash up against the side. “I can try. What do you plan?” He says, wincing.
GM: [1d20+2 = 12]
Tobias Hastings: Just do it.
He braces himself.
Tobias Hastings lets go with one hand and makes a swift pattern in the air.
Tobias Hastings: Concentration [1d20+6 = 26]
Darkstrom: that can only exert 5 pounds of force – what are you planning
Brian (Tobias Hastings): Just help brace the wheel.
Brian (Tobias Hastings): every bit helps right?
Darkstrom: you are so lucky
Darkstrom: its 20+SL
Brian (Tobias Hastings): really intense conditions
Darkstrom: Yea but you could have easily gotten under. I’ll let it grant you a 1 circumstance bonus
Hurricane force winds batter the ship, a hole rips into the sail. The cove looms ahead, only a little farther.
Darkstrom: another strength check please
GM: [1d20
2 = 13]
Tobias Hastings pulls some of the wind and directs it at the wheel, aiding his pressure on the helm.
Tobias Hastings: Strength bonus [1d20+3 = 11]
Brian (Tobias Hastings): +1
Between your and Theo’s strength and the wind magic you direct to help, you just manage to keep the wheel steady as you sail into the tiny cove and the Captain orders the sail cut and both anchors dropped.
Prince Theodric slumps on the wheel, your body aches from your exertions.
.
For a moment it seems like the anchors won’t be enough. The Orion avoids most of the waves but it drifts towards the rocky shore before the anchor finally catches and the drifting stops.
Tobias Hastings: So now we wait?
The Captain, young Sir, and the uninjured sailor cheer! When above you sunlight suddenly burst through the clouds and they dissipate as quickly as they came.
Tobias Hastings: Give me a break.
GM: The cheers quickly die.
Darkstrom: creepy storm is creepy.
Tobias Hastings: Oh captain. One of your sailors is injured. You might want someone with some medical ability to tend to him. He is in the cahbin
Tobias Hastings: And great job Prince. Glad you could keep up.
Tobias Hastings beams.
The sea dies down almost immediately. The captain seems speechless and unnerved. He does little more than nod and sends his other sailor to check on Slim. Theodric watches the lightening skies. “I never thought I’d see anything quite like that, Tobias.” He looks stern. “This gives me a dangerous sense of foreboding.”
.
Tobias Hastings: It seems we are dealing with someone a bit more powerful than Duke Krowyl.
Lord Craddock emerges with young Prince Ethan in tow. He stares at you and the Prince and nods his silent approval before making his way towards the helm, the steps creaking under his feet.
Prince Theodric: Perhaps. This far from the Seals of the Conclave only the gods know what forces hunt the unwary."
And as if on cue, you hear the distant barks and bellows of tusked seals.
Tobias Hastings: …. speaking of seals.
Tobias Hastings: Hungry?
Tobias Hastings cocks an eyebrow at Theodric.
Prince Theodric: The gods have a funny sense of irony. Indeed. But first we should unload the boat and inspect this castle.
Prince Theodric: Captain! Get us in as close as you can to the shore and we’ll begin unloading while Tobias and Rayden scout ahead.
The Captain snaps to attention and gets to work.
Tobias Hastings: What? no lunch break?
Tobias Hastings smirks at the prince as he heads below deck to find Rayden.
The ursine Lord Craddock says, speaking slowly in a gravelly voice. “I have not seen any trace of the mercenary, my liege.”
Prince Theodric: It’s not a large ship, he can’t be far. Unless he somehow managed to wash overboard during that storm…
Prince Theodric: Tobias, see if he can find him. Lord Robert, shall we start unloading?
Tobias Hastings smirks at the prince as he heads below deck to find Rayden.
Lord Craddock whistles loudly. “Blair!” and his son pops up from below deck. “Yes father?”

“Go with Sir Hastings. If you can’t find the mercenary, arm yourself and go with him into the castle.

Tobias Hastings: Oh goody! I get to babysit!
Young Blair bows, a youthful grin spreading across his face. “As you wish father.” He wears only his linen breeches, soaking wet. His bare youthful chest glistens with sea water – his boyish body right at the cusp of being a man’s.

Lord Craddock shakes his head. “The boy is young. But he is my son and he can handle a blade like no other youth his age.” His voice is matter of fact. He turns to follow Theodric down into the hold.
.
Tobias Hastings: So serious, your father is. Come, we must dress you properly. I have a feeling the mercenary will stay hidden if that is what he wishes
Blair Craddock: Aye, let me get my leathers and my blade.
Blair Craddock goes into the crew cabin where he begins to change.

Blair emerges from the cabin dressed in leather armor; he wears a short sword at his waist and a spear and bow on his back. He wears a blue cloak with the symbol of the Lord Protector – a Shielded Crown.
Blair Craddock: Ready to go?
Tobias Hastings: Always
Tobias Hastings: You know, you ahmost look grown up in that gahrb
Blair Craddock swells with pride. “One day I will be the best knight of the kingdom.”
Tobias Hastings grins wickedly as he makes his way to the gangplank.
Tobias Hastings: When we get our kingdom back.
The Captain managed to get the ship remarkably close to shore. You need only wade through the shallows a minute before you emerge on the gravelly beach.
Jagged rocks jut forth from the sand like daggers and the cliff face is steep, though it appears climbable.
Blair Craddock: If this place is as deserted as his Highness was told then it seems nearly impossible to take from a sea attack.
Tobias Hastings: So that would leave one side to defend. And with our numbers I think we will need that advantage
Tobias Hastings: Though we might also need an easier way up.
Blair Craddock grins and begins to climb.
Darkstrom: climb checks! You know how I love them
Tobias Hastings follows suit, picking his way up beside the boy.
Blair Craddock: [1d20+5 = 12]
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Climb] [1d20+7 = 10]
Brian (Tobias Hastings): really?
Brian (Tobias Hastings): yay armor check! =P
The first step is a doozy – or in this case the first few feet. You get stuck barely off the ground.

Blair Craddock (says as a warning): This rock is sharp!
Blair Craddock wipes blood on his leather.
Blair Craddock: Climb [1d20+5 = 17]
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Climb] [1d20+7 = 14]
The boy begins to climb but you still find yourself a bit outmatched.
Darkstrom: the cliff is only 20 feet by the way.
Tobias Hastings: Taking an early lead. Hmm.
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Climb] [1d20+7 = 15]
You find the path and climb up. You are right near the top.
Blair Craddock: [1d20+5 = 20]
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Climb] [1d20+7 = 26]
You both manage to make it up, though Blair Craddock does beat you.
Tobias Hastings: Good show. Just don’t let it go to your head.
Tobias Hastings grins at the boy.
Sitting a hundred yards away the castle sits solid and unyielding. It is a three story square stone building whose rear is backed right up against the tallest sea cliff in the area. Its front is protected by a 15ft high stone wall.
Blair Craddock: Thank you, sir.
Tobias Hastings: Guess we climb again and find a way to open the gate.
Blair Craddock smiles and looks pleased.
Blair Craddock pulls his bow off his back.
A few hundred yards inland from the castle, a patchwork of forest and grass-covered hills covers the land.
Blair Craddock: Look, Sir Hastings, an old road leads right up to the castle.
Blair Craddock points at an overgrown strip of grassy dirt.
Tobias Hastings: This is too easy.
Tobias Hastings grimaces as he readies his oddly curved sword.
You both approach the castle which rises above you. When you get close enough to begin to see the front walls more clearly you can see that the rusted portcullis is askew, leaving a large gap in the defenses. The wooden inner door is missing. But you hear the growling and barking of dogs from within the walls.
Blair glances at you for guidance.
Tobias Hastings: I knew this castle couldn’t be deserted.
Tobias Hastings puts a finger to his lips and slowly creeps toward the outer wall.
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Stealth] [1d20-1 = 14]
You and Blair creep up slowly on the castle, the barking and growling gets louder. It sounds like a pack of dogs fighting over scraps. There is a gap beneath the portcullis just large enough for a man to crawl under.
Blair Craddock (whispering): I could go first if you wish, sir.
Tobias Hastings makes a “go ahead” motion with his empty hand.
Blair Craddock crawls under the gate and crouches, pressing himself against the wall.
Tobias Hastings follows the boy, as gracefully as possible.
Just out of sight, somewhere in the corner of the courtyard you can hear the snarling, barking dogs. Or what sounds like dogs.

The castle looks deserted; it has been weathered by years and suffers from lack of repair. Moss and slime grow in the cracks between the stones of its walls and most of its upstairs windows are open to the elements – either their shutters broken or missing.
Tobias Hastings (muttering): Great i get to murder some dumb animals this morning.
Blair Craddock: What would dogs be doing this far from civilization?
Tobias Hastings (whispering): You sure they’re dogs?
Blair Craddock: (whispering) No, they just sound like dogs. What should we do sir?
Tobias Hastings: Prepare yourself.
Tobias Hastings: Spell [Shield] → Invisible disc gives 4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.
Tobias Hastings winces as he casts a spell, knowing full well it might get them noticed.
Growling beasts: Perception [1d20
8 = 21]
The barking suddenly grows louder and definitely directed at you.
Blair Craddock: Initiative [1d20 = 9]
Tobias Hastings: Initiative [1d20 = 3]
A huge wolfhound stalks around the corner, snarling as it comes. White foam drips from its fangs as it advances on you.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 2
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 3
Another dog, just as large approaches behind the first. It growls and snarls. Both of these dogs are emaciated and covered with scars. They growl threateningly at you.
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Blair takes a step up against the gate, clutching his bow. “Your orders sir?”
Tobias Hastings: Survive.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 1
A third dog appears from around the corner, a piece of ragged meat in its slavering jaws.
Blair waits, unsure whether he should fire.
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
.
Tobias Hastings steps up between Blair and the dogs, and readies himself for their advance.

[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 2
The lead dog snarls and attacks! The dog leaps at you, its slavering jaws seeking your flesh.
Dog 2: Bite [1d20+3 = 8]
You leap forward as it does so and kick it back with your boot while following up with your readied strike.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 14]
GM: Hit
Tobias Hastings: [DAMAGE] MW Falcata [1d8+3 = 5]
Blair Craddock: Bow [1d20+3 = 9]
Tobias Hastings swings his sword in a wide arc, taken off a chunk of the dog’s ear.
As you slash at it, Blair fires an arrow at the rabid beast but his arrow goes wide.

The dog yelps and its packmate lunges at you as well.
GM: Bite [1d20+3 = 21]
This one pounces on you, catching your sword arm in its jaws.
GM: [1d6+3 = 5]
You feel its teeth tear into your arm, catching the unarmored portions of your body and the dog tries to yank you off your feet, snarling.
GM: make a fort save for me :D
Tobias Hastings: Fortitude save [1d20+5 = 10]
Brian (Tobias Hastings): sigh
GM: Trip attempt: [1d20+3 = 11]
You manage to stay on your feet and kick away as the dog retreats. (5 damage)
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Blair drops his bow and whips out his sword and with a shout, charges at the dog.
GM: Sword [1d20+3 = 21]
The sword bites into the dog’s snout.
GM: [1d6+1 = 7]
Brian (Tobias Hastings): the one i hit or the one that hit me?
He pierces the end of the sword straight into the beast’s snout, snicker-snak! The dog yelps and howls as blood pours from the wound. (The one that hit you).
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 1
Barking the third dog leaps at Blair.
Blair tries to slash at it.
GM: [1d20+3 = 13]
GM: [1d6+1 = 2]
He cuts the dog on its flank, drawing blood through its thick black fur.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 2
The dog darts around behind Tobias to try and help its wounded pack mate bring him down.
GM: The dog provokes an Attack of Opportunity from Tobias
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 13]
Darkstrom: roll damage
Tobias Hastings: [DAMAGE] MW Falcata [1d8+3 = 5]
The dog yelps as you strike it but its too hungry or ill to retreat. It lunges at your neck, its yellowed teeth snapping like a bear trap.
GM: Bite [1d20+3 = 4]
The dog’s teeth snap at air as you recoil from it’s lunge.
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
Blair Craddock: You alright sir?
Tobias Hastings: Don’t let them surround you!
Blair Craddock: Aye, Sir Hastings!
Blair Craddock begins looking for a way to avoid being encircled.
Tobias Hastings takes a step back and points at the wounded animal. Wind rips around his body and coalesces at his finger tip before rocketing towards the beast attacking him.

Tobias Hastings: Spell [Magic Missile] → 1d4+1 damage; 1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
Tobias Hastings: [1d4
1 = 2]
Blair Craddock stares in awe and shock at Tobias.
The dog yelps as the magic energy batters it.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 3
Tobias Hastings: Back up against the gate!
The third dog takes advantage of its packmate’s presence to attack Blair.
GM: Bite [1d20+5 = 23] GM: Damage [1d6+3 = 8] Trip Attempt: [1d20+3 = 18]
Blair Craddock: Aaargh!!!
The dog’s teeth catch Blair around the wrist and hand. There is a terrible crunch and the boy is ripped from his feet and onto the ground.
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Rolling on the ground, clutching his hand. Blair shouts, “Geshtai, protect me!”, as he leaps to his feet.
Dog AoO: [1d20+3 = 6]
Dog AoO: [1d20+5 = 12]
Fate preserves him as he manages to fight both dogs off and dart backwards to press up against the gate. Blood drips from his sword hand yet despite whatever bones broke he refuses to release his sword, his own blood drips down the blade.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 1
The dogs, smelling blood, howl and one leaps at him.
Blair Craddock: [1d20+3 = 9]
Blair skillfully fends it off, he looks at you and you can see the fear in his youthful eyes but his face seems stoic.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 2
Maddened by pain, the dog you blasted leaps at you snarling.
GM: Bite [1d20+3 = 15]
Tobias’ summoned wind shield batters the beast as it leaps, throwing it aside.
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
Tobias Hastings: That’s it you mutt. Come get me. I’m tasty. You smell this?
Tobias Hastings waves his bloody arm at the beast as he steps toward his mate.
Tobias Hastings concentrates hard, chanting forcefully.
Tobias Hastings: concentration [1d20+6 = 10]
Brian (Tobias Hastings): fuck me
Darkstrom: What are you trying to do
Tobias Hastings: Spell [Shocking Grasp] → Touch delivers 1d6/level electricity damage (max 5d6).
Brian (Tobias Hastings): lightning flickers across his blade and dissipates as he strikes the hound
For a moment lightning flickers across Tobias’ blade but the dog leaps at him, interrupting his spell casting and the magic dissipates.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 16]
Tobias Hastings: [DAMAGE] MW Falcata [1d8+3 = 7]
Darkstrom: describe your kill
Tobias Hastings: the momentum of the swing crushes the dog’s skull as remnants of the failed spell course through it.
Blair Craddock: Thanks!
Tobias Hastings: Of course. just keep that one off you
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
Blair Craddock turns to the dog boxing him in and swings his sword.
Blair Craddock: [1d20+3 = 14] GM: [1d6+1 = 4]
He stabs at it and catches its leg.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 1
The dog yelps and snaps at his sword arm.
GM: [1d20+3 = 12]
Blair leaps out of the dog’s snapping jaws with a flourish.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 2
Tobias Hastings: Keep it up! This fight is ours!
GM Dog Bite: [1d20+3 = 8]
Tobias, your old friend leaps at you as man’s best friend is wont to do. This time, however, it bares fangs and a heavy body. But you manage to evade the poor maddened beast easily.
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
Tobias Hastings: Come on you stupid mutt. That the best you’ve gaht?
Tobias Hastings spins as he shifts. bringing his falcata around in a sweep.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 8]
The dog leaps out of the way.
Brian (Tobias Hastings): this is one epic rabid hound
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
GM Sword stab: [1d20+3 = 4]
Blair stabs at the hound boxing him in but his sword handle is too slick with blood and he almost loses his sword in the process.
Blair Craddock: Coming, Sir Hastings!
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 1
Blair Craddock: [1d20+3 = 12]
He fends off the dog again, as he steps back to stand back to back with you.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 2
The dog that won’t die leaps at you.
GM: Bite [1d20+3 = 14]
The wind buffets it and throws it back again. Its bloodshot eyes are filled with hate, and the foam dribbling from its mouth has taken a pinkish hue.
[TURN] Tobias Hastings
Tobias Hastings: This ends now!
Tobias Hastings steps around again, grabbing his sword with his second hand as well and brings it down between the beast’s eyes
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 21]
GM: hit
Tobias Hastings: [DAMAGE] MW Falcata [1d8+3 = 6]
You split the beast’s skull and its body collapses.
[GM] [TURN] Blair Craddock
GM: Sword Stab [1d20+3 = 6]
Blair stabs at the third dog again which leaps out of the way.
[GM] [TURN] Wild Dog 1
The dog turns tail and runs, fleeing out from under the gate at full speed, provoking attacks of opportunity from Tobias.
Tobias Hastings: [ATTACK] MW Falcata [CRIT 19] [1d20+5 = 16]
Tobias Hastings quickly brings his sword up from underneath the mutt, catching its underside.
Tobias Hastings: [DAMAGE] MW Falcata (1) [1d84 = 6]
Grievously wounded, the dog limps out under the gate and out down the slope.
Blair eyes you with respect. “Father said you were a mage, but I’ve never seen a court mage with your moves! That was amazing!”
Tobias Hastings: Court mage?! Hah
Tobias Hastings: I am not quite so stuffy.
Tobias Hastings: Good fighting though I must say. How is your hand?
Blair Craddock rips a long piece of cloth from his cloak and wraps his wounded hand. “I think that beast broke something. It doesn’t move well.”
Blair Craddock: But I’m well enough to carry on the mission, sir.
Tobias Hastings: Well take one of these just in case. I don’t have many so use it only if necessary.
Tobias Hastings pulls out a small vial from one of his many pockets and hands it to the boy.
Blair Craddock: What’s that?
Tobias Hastings: Come. We must continue.
Tobias Hastings: It is a curative
Tobias Hastings: might help that finger of yours.
Blair Craddock: Wow. An honest-to-goodness cure of the Conclave?
Brian (Tobias Hastings): that what they call a cure potion?
Darkstrom: not necessarily
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Knowledge (Nobility)] [1d20+9 = 24]
Darkstrom: got religion?
Brian (Tobias Hastings): nope.
Tobias Hastings: Skill [Knowledge] [1d20+4 = 19]
GM: The Conclave is the state church of Calithor, the only organization where it is routinely possible to buy curatives from.
GM: Those few clergy with the divine blessing of Geshtai and Pholtus are well-known for their curatives.
Darkstrom: in other words, it can be called a cure potion. He’s just assuming you got it from one of the churches.
Tobias Hastings: Um… yeah… sure. Just keep it safe. They are not easy to come by.
Tobias Hastings moves into the courtyard proper, looking around.
Blair Craddock: I won’t use it unless I need to.

END Game 1

View
Welcome to your Adventure Log!
A blog for your campaign

Every campaign gets an Adventure Log, a blog for your adventures!

While the wiki is great for organizing your campaign world, it’s not the best way to chronicle your adventures. For that purpose, you need a blog!

The Adventure Log will allow you to chronologically order the happenings of your campaign. It serves as the record of what has passed. After each gaming session, come to the Adventure Log and write up what happened. In time, it will grow into a great story!

Best of all, each Adventure Log post is also a wiki page! You can link back and forth with your wiki, characters, and so forth as you wish.

One final tip: Before you jump in and try to write up the entire history for your campaign, take a deep breath. Rather than spending days writing and getting exhausted, I would suggest writing a quick “Story So Far” with only a summary. Then, get back to gaming! Grow your Adventure Log over time, rather than all at once.

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.